Monday 9 March 2009

Paul Robertson

I've promise to write about Paul Robertson who I've wrote about briefly.
Paul Robertson is an animator who works in 16 bit video game style.
From what I can tell, I think he animated his work in flash but I'm not exactly sure on how he got the pixelated look. Probably something like mosaic effect but I'll look into it later.
You know what, I'm not sure whether I should call Paul a genius or an idiot. I mean he made a great publicity by putting his work online but you can download the actual clip is something I wouldn't do.

Kings of Power 4 Billion %




It's quite hard to tell what exactly is going with this animation because there is so much going on and very fast pace.
But from what I understood, there are a few good characters who tried to stop a strong enemy/boss and thats it!
Something like a typical game where they would try to triumph evil.
But I read that "Kings of Power 4 Billion %, a 16-bit animated reflection on the struggle between life and death in a world war between a strobing pantheon of gods, whipping ribbons of motile flesh, and ultra-kawaii heroes."

It's very hard to understand the characters when there are so many of them but I did understand what they're doing. The only interesting characters are the evil bosses.

The aesthetic of the animation is a hybrid between anime and 8 bit animation.
It uses video game reference such as RPG, side scrolling platforming, reviving and boss battle.

My only concern is that the animation has so many bright colour especially the combination of red & blue flashes that I feel that people might get seizures after watching this.
My eyes were straining after watching the whole film, I think I'll end up like those poor children who ended up watching the banned Pokemon episode.

Other than that, it was some crazy sh*t (in a good way) experience with it's Confusing, graphical, and loud that you don't get in Hollywood film.

Here are some of his other works:
Architecture in Helsinki - Do the Whirlwind:
Architecture in Helsinki's animated video for Do the Whirlwind

The Magic Touch:

Go another cadbury commercial:

Pirate Baby's Cabana Street Fight - pt.1:

Pirate Baby's Cabana Street Fight - pt.2:


Website:

No comments:

Post a Comment