Monday 23 February 2009

A little history behind videogame

I think researching the history of video game will benefit my final film. So I looked up several videos online and I thought they were pretty interesting and useful:

A Short Visual History of Videogames

Directed and animated by Kyle Downes
Voiced by Josh Molenkamp

"Software used: Maya 8.5, After Effects, Premiere, Illustrator, Photoshop and Flash"

This is a 3rd year graduate work I've looked at and I thought wow this was really fun to watch and I learnt something. Anyway Kyle used a combination of motion graphics technique along with some maya 3d animation which blended in so well.
Not only that the voice narrator was so amusing, it sounded like 1970's educational videos which maybe is intentional because the first ever video game console was released in the 70's.

Check out his work at:
http://ultra-awesome.com/

A Really Really Brief History Of Donkey Kong (King of Kong)

Directed by Gabe Swara

It was made part of the famous 8 bit festival (Note: I might put up a post about 8bit)
Clearly it was made in flash with it's vector style animation but the animation was fun to watch.

The animatic version, drawn on little yellow post-its:

He also done an ident for the I Am 8-Bit. Though it's more like the 4 bit atari not the 8 bit NES :

Final Edition History of Video Games (114 games)
Here is a collected clips of the history of gaming:

No comments:

Post a Comment