Wednesday 25 February 2009

8 BIT Stuff

I mentioned in my previous post about what is 8 bit film. Well I'm going to talk 8 bit documentary films I've found.

8 Bit: A Documentary About Art And VideogamesDirector - Marcin Ramocki

"8 BIT is a hybrid documentary examining the influence of video games on contemporary culture. A mélange of a rocumentary, art expose and a culture-critical investigation, 8 BIT ties together seemingly disconnected phenomena like the 80’s demo scene, chiptune music and contemporary artists using machinima and modified games. Produced in NYC, LA, Paris and Tokyo, 8 BIT brings a global perspective on the new artistic approaches of the DIY generation which grew up playing Atari and Commodore 64."

Here is the main website of the Documentary film 8 BIT:
http://www.8bitmovie.com/index.html

The trailer can be seen here:


One of the quotes I definitely agree is how "Growing up playing Video Game is important to our childhood."
"If you grow up of something you make art out of it."
"For a certain generation people would evoke childhood, when a artist uses that. Now it has many meanings invested in it."
What I thought was amazing is that artist uses the old gameboy system to create an 8-bit midi sound.

I am 8 bit I am 8 bit is an art exhibition festival The shows theme involves over 100 artists reinterpreting their favorite old-school video game characters in a variety of mediums, including paintings, plush, sculpture, and even interactive pieces. You can check what it is like in the event:


I've posted one of their work in my previous post, they're made the A Really Really Brief History Of Donkey Kong (King of Kong).

I purchased the artbook of I am 8 bit and I'm loving it. This is what inspired me to make an 8 bit animation because I've grown up playing the early generation of video game and it became a part of my life and why I'm doing Visual Communication in Birmingham City University. Frogger Michael Leavitt Mixed Media Frogger (arcade)

Mario's Lament Reuben Rude Collage and Acrylic on Board Donkey Kong (arcade)

Donkey See Donkey Do Dave Wasson Mixed Media Donkey Kong (arcade)

Check out their website:
http://www.iam8bit.net/
http://www.whatisblik.com/iam8bit.html

No comments:

Post a Comment